Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pumpkin Pie from Scratch (Kim)

I made pumpkin pie last night completely from scratch. I was so proud of myself. (See here)
To make a pie from your own pumpkin first you need to cook the pumpkin. Some people cut the hard shell off of the pumpkin before they cook it, but that is way too much work for me. I just cut the pumpkin up into pieces about the size of my hand then I cooked them in my pressure cooker. I put a small amount of water in the bottom and cooked it on med. for about 15 min. once the bell on top started to rattle. If you don't have a pressure cooker you can bake it or cook it in the microwave. Just put it in glass pan, put a little water in the pan, cover with a lid or with plastic wrap (if in microwave, foil for oven) and cook it until it is very soft. When it is cooked completely it just falls off of the hard shell. I cooked the pumpkin the day before I made the pie and just put it in the fridge over night.

Pie Crust
2 cups Flour
1 t. salt
1 cup shortening
mix together well. Add:
1 beaten egg
1 T. vinegar
1/4 cup cold water
mix together and roll out on a floured surface. Hint: The cooler the dough the flakier the crust, so make sure you use cold water. If you make the dough before hand refrigerate it so it doesn't get warm. Makes 2 pie crusts. If you only need one pie crust just roll the left over dough in a ball and freeze.
Libby's Pumpkin Pie
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
1/2 t. cloves
4 large eggs
1 can (29 oz.) Pumpkin or 4 cups of your own cooked pumpkin
2 cans (12 oz. each) Evaporated Milk
Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat in eggs, then stir in pumpkin. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
Pour into pie shells. (I can usually make 3 pies with this recipe. If you only have 2 crusts you can freeze the left over portion)
Bake in preheated 425 Degree oven for 15 min. Then reduce temperature to 350 degrees for 40-50 min. or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool and serve or Refrigerate.

1 comment:

Cordie said...

I think everything is better from scratch, to bad I don't feel confident in that area, maybe someday.